Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Technetium

This whole Harry Potter thing is getting crazy...
Ok, I shouldn't complain, since I'll take Harry Potter over Twilight ANY. DAY.
However, it doesn't mean I like it.
I remember trying to get into it... but the moment I opened any one of the books, Rowling's condescension turned me off... immediately. I don't enjoy being treated like a retard... trust your reader to understand what the fuck you're trying to say, don't beat them over the head with your bullshit.
Prime example:
While in Chicago, my now-goddaughter, Beca, was reading "Pride and Prejudice." I asked her how she liked it.
Beca: Well, I've only read a few chapters. So far... it's different.
Me: Oh, trust me, the story's awesome.
Beca: Really? So it's worth reading, then?
Me: Yeah. I mean... if you like happy endings. It's sort of like Cinderella... minus the magic, or mean step-sisters, and shit like that. Actually... it's not like Cinderella at all. Still good, though.
Beca: Ok. It's just really different for me because I'm used to Harry Potter... you know... where she just tells me everything.
Me: Yeah... apples and oranges, Beca.

But... whatever, I guess as long as it gets people reading-- just like the articles in Playboy-- it can't be too bad (unless it's Twilight. FUCK. THAT. SHIT. That just turns people into little twats).

Anyway, off-topic:
I'm currently at that stage where I'm getting sick... but it's not full-blown illness just yet. I'm lethargic, with inflamed joints and all that shit... but my nose isn't running, I don't have a cough, I'm not running a fever... I'm just dizzy and dealing with the headache that won't go away. It makes me sad and angry at the same time.
But it all gets better after this:

I'm part of the Noble gang.
Although my much-smarter chemist/physicist/mathematician cousin informed me of something WAY cooler
"I always thought you were more like Technetium: A special substance amidst the boring transition metals with very unique properties."
And that's why I'd fight bitches who talked shit about his gentle, intellectual nature... and I may have said I was going to marry him back when we were toddlers...

4 comments:

Mooney said...

LOL at your Harry Potter rant. Trust me, JKR gets better in the later books.(I will defend her cause HP got me through high school. Not the English part of it...but the story.) Pride and Prejudice is amazing, good for recommending it to Rebeca. The books are always better than the movies, imho.

I love my brother, haha.

P.S. Feel better!

AnoMALIE said...

that bitch better have gotten better after seven books!! :)
Rebe was actually reading P&P for school. I tweeted it, but stupid twitter didn't post it. Anyway, I just made her read it as opposed to cliff-noting it.

And yeah, your bro rocks! :)

Kelley Karas said...

LMAO.. how did you find that video??

AnoMALIE said...

all thanks to my cousin. I don't know how he found it, but it made my day. totally shit we'd talk about in class, right? hahaha