Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Garcias

Everyone knows I favor my mother's side of the family. They're really the ones who have always shown me love... or at least included me in their festivities. I had to add that because there are a couple of maternally-related people out there who have fucked with me my entire life... but somehow, I still sort of love them.

There's one lady in particular who confuses the shit out of my feelings, let's call her Maggie.

Her grandmother was my grandmother's sister, but Maggie is around my mother's age so, Mom and Maggie were close friends while they grew up in Hometown.
Now, Maggie can be sweet... but something about her just doesn't click with me: She's obnoxious when it comes to the subject of beauty... that's her...delirium.
She'll base people's worth on the degree of his/her beauty. I'm sure it stems from the fact that when she was young, everyone considered her one of the most beautiful girls in the region.
Still, with this annoying characteristic of hers, Mom has remained her friend, and in turn, my sister and I have been close friends with Maggie's two daughters. They're cool chicks who aren't nearly as fond of "beauty" as their mother.

My closeness to Maggie's daughters has caused me a little bit of... not trauma, but more like grief.
I've always been invited to their birthday parties (actually, one of the girls was the one for whom I went to Firefly* and Chateau a couple of weeks ago).
The parties were fun and everything, but I clearly remember crying two years in a row. Why? Because they'd hold "Beauty Pageants" and I'd never be allowed to participate (these were held once the "sleep over" portion of the party began, so Mom was never there to back me up). It was extra traumatizing because I'd be the only girl not participating... I'd be the fucking "crowd"... just me. The reason? Well, 1- I wasn't pretty enough, and 2- the dresses they'd use in the pageant wouldn't fit me (I was about 12-13 when these pageants went down, and by then, I definitely wasn't a size 3 in adults... which was the size of the dresses, since Maggie was a mega skinny girl her entire life). I still remember the first year when the younger daughter told me "Well, you'd be in it... but you're too fat to fit in any of the dresses," (I don't hold a grudge against her for saying this. She was just being blunt, not mean. But I DO remember this once in a while when I see her. Oh, you sweet little idiot) then when one of the adults TRIED convincing me to get in a dress, Maggie tried whispering "I don't want her ripping my dress!" but of course I heard (I acted as if I didn't hear... holding back tears and all that shit shy, quiet girls do when they're insulted in public).
Once the second year came around, I knew better than to try and do the pageant thing. I just went ahead and took a seat in the kitchen, the spot from where "the crowd" (i.e. ME) was going to watch, as the rest of the girls got ready in the master bedroom (I could hear them giggling as they chose dresses and did their hair on the other side of the house, behind closed doors. I sat quietly in the empty kitchen... they didn't even have the fucking TV turned on for me to watch. That image still makes me sad when I remember. Then I get over it when I remember I got off scot-free considering the shit they did to other girls at these slumber parties. Girls are SO vicious when in a pack).

ANYWAY, I've been on the receiving end of much of this weirdo treatment from Maggie because I'm not "pretty enough."
The weird thing? I'm still cordial with her... I even like her from time to time. She also appears to have grown up a bit, and she isn't so openly cruel to me... as long as beauty isn't mentioned. She's cool up until "pretty-ness" is brought up... that's usually my cue to get up and leave the immediate area.

That's my relationship with Maggie.

I bring this up because she friended me on FB today. I wasn't going to accept (I say I love her like a cousin, but still, she's an old family member-- they're pretty much forbidden from rummaging through my shit), but she tricked me.
She called herself "Garcia Reunion" and curiosity got the best of me. Since the Garcia's (maternal side) are throwing a family reunion in the summer... I became curious... and I accepted.
Then I saw SHE was the one behind it... and it was like getting punched in the mouth.
I was going to delete her, but I saw her daughters were already her friends. I pretty much fucked myself.
So, I did what's expected on Facebook and I looked through her photos.
I found these gems from our previous family reunion, back in... '04 or '06... I'm leaning more towards '04:
I'm lookin like a mean chola... as usual, amongst my lovely Garcia girls.
("Garcia"... so stereotypical, right?)
I LOVE THESE SHORTIES!
Well, maybe not so much the ones on the far left,
they turned out to be quite avaricious.
And then my aunt in the red... smh. She loves posing like that.
I decided to keep her... because she had that photo of my lovely family.
Way to sucker me into shit, Maggie!

This Garcia thing is going to be interesting.

4 comments:

Mooney said...

I can't say I'm too fond of her either...and EW! The first photo depresses me to no end. :[

AnoMALIE said...

:(
imaginate, tiene fotos como estas en su profile. I was like "Fuckity fuck fuck! Put that shit away!"

Mooney said...

And were some of the *few* wearing nametags. >:/

AnoMALIE said...

LMAO!! I just noticed that! Why are we always the only dummies who follow instructions?! hahaha