Sunday, May 1, 2011

SGT D

July marks the ten year anniversary of my brother entering the army.
He graduated basic on September 13th 2001.

What can I say? That guy whose death is headlining everything right now REALLY fucked with my family's... I don't know if the term "comfort" should be used here... tranquility? Maybe? (not to mention he changed the way we Americans went about our lives. I know for one I was aloof to much malice... especially terrorist attacks. It was something that never crossed my mind)

We weren't too happy about Rafa joining the military, but at the time we found out, it wasn't a scary time in America. We weren't upset because he was joining the military where he ran the risk of getting killed, we were upset that he was going to bypass attending college. He had kicked ass on his SATs and had been accepted to so many colleges... why the fuck was he going to the army?!

Once Spetmeber 11th went down, it was... panic mode. I can't describe the heaviness of my heart.
We spent Rafa's four years of active duty as if we were holding our breath... under water.
Our only relief was knowing Rafa was in charge of running UAV's... not like he was military police... and he was in Arizona for the majority of his stay.

I remember Rafa told us plenty of times that Bin Laden was in Pakistan. He continuously told us (he'd then go into the politics and why we hadn't gotten him yet, and sadly, when people talk politics with me... it tends to go in one ear and out the other). I didn't care, I just wanted Rafa to be with us, and out of that fucking uniform... I wanted Civilian Rafa, not Sergeant D (monkeyface was made sergeant in a little over a year, I do believe. My brother's always been a monstaaah!). A Rafa I waited for until 2009 to be completely comfortable we'd always have (year of his honorable discharge).
***

Originally I wasn't going to post at all. I mean, everywhere I look, I only hear about OBL.
Yes, I have my opinions... and while I feel a sense of... satisfaction (let's not forget I'm vindictive as fuck. So revenge is something I do enjoy), I feel terrible with how people cheer someone's death. It's kinda creepy.
So... I'll leave it at that.
I'm sure I'll get an earful from Rafa once I visit him for his graduation.

He comes home in exactly a month!
:)

No comments: