Saturday, May 14, 2011

Lawyers

Graduation Day for tons of folk today.
Cool stuff.
With the graduations, come the parties.
Today, I've been invited to my childhood friend's law school graduation party.
I agreed to go... because I really am fond of her. We have some good memories together. When we were four, she showed me how to whistle, I showed her how to make pies... I also punched her in the face shortly after.
I didn't see her on a regular basis once we entered elementary school, because her parents divorced... and that is one TWISTED-ASS story (her mom being too demanding, driving her dad into severe panic attacks to the point where he finally just loses it and is locked up in a mental institution for years. Friend's mom then takes all of his money and quits speaking to any of her husband's relatives/acquaintances. Her mom then tells my friend that her father abandoned them and continues to bad-mouth him throughout my friend's life. Friend is resentful of her father. Her dad is finally released from the institution in '03, tries living a normal life... but deeply misses his daughter. He'd see girls his daughters age and he'd continuously bring her up--he did that to me every single time. I'd get uncomfortable because I'd see his tears building up, and I mean, what do you do with a sentimental grown man ready to burst into tears because you reminded him of his estranged daughter?-- Anyway, as this man starts getting better, he feels he's good enough to quit using his meds... one day decides to drive two blocks over to his brother's house, he gets pulled over, he freaks out, cops then freak out and taze him FOUR times, which ultimately kills him. He dies never having seen or spoken to his daughter for 17 years. Daughter shows up alone to ten minutes of his funeral mass, but sits in the back so no one sees her. The story would make me cry for a good two years each time I'd have to tell it. I find it HORRIBLY sad).
We met back up in high school, because we happened to go to the same one... and we had many classes together, because we were both part of the AP crew.
We rekindled our friendship.

Anyway, I'm kind of honored that she thought of me when it came to doing her list of 40 invites.
There's only one teeny, tiny problem: the whole high school thing.
I saw her list... and the vast majority are people from high school.
In case I haven't stressed this enough on here: I HATED high school.

So umm... I'm... doing that whole thing where I have to pump myself up.
Social anxiety sucks dick... it licks asshole when it involves the pricks from high school.
No, I don't hate everyone from high school, I have plenty of good friends I acquired throughout those four years of HELL.
You see, this friend was popular. A cheerleader. Pretty.
I was a nerd. I was quiet. I was new.
I was CLEARLY a Mexican in a sea of white kids (I apologize, friends, but it was true. I stood out like a sore thumb in that school).
Yes, this friend is also Mexican, but she was lucky to be blessed with light skin, and she was assimilated to the white-preppy-people culture. I sure as fuck WAS NOT. I was HOOD.
Therefore, her friends and my friends clashed.
They still do.
I'm chill, laid-back, down to earth (for the most part. I accept the fact that I can get delusional). As are my friends. Her friends are superficial, uptight, and self-absorbed. She can get that way as well, but deep down, she's a sweet girl with a very sad story that only very few know (me being one of them. I know things SHE doesn't know), so that's why we're still friends.

I'm trying to get mentally prepared for this encounter... you know, so I don't leave this party in tears.
It appears the winner here is "You're happy. You're happy. You're happy. Put a smile on your face and convince them. That scowl of yours only freaks people out. You're free. You have no responsibilities. You can hook-up with whoever you want. You don't have to work or study... and you get to travel for an indefinite amount of time. You're happy. You're happy. You're happy."

Let's hear it for the miserable times ahead! Wooooo!

No comments: