Friday, January 21, 2011

Alo. Alo? Adios.

Today is Alo's 24th birthday.

Sister and I debated whether or not to call her.
She's our friend... regardless of what she decided to do with her love life.
She'll always be the girl whose stuffed animal we had to hold for ransom over the summer so she'd agree to our massive slumber party:
Rough night for Tony.
 The girl who would take on nopales (cacti) with nothing but a rock, all for the sake of our group's entertainment:
She hella lost that fight.
 The girl who'd jokingly threaten to molest us during our lazy summer nights:
Holding Sister down in oder to proceed to lick Sister's face.
 The girl who'd walk the deserted Hometown streets with us during the lonely days in June:
I MISS THIS!
The girl who'd try the delicious, but deadly, Mexican food a DAY before going on the 30-whatever hour-long drive back home.
Entirely too excited about that torta.
The girl who'd race the rainstorm with us because we would stay too long at the park playing volleyball.

We all lost here. That rain pounded the hell out of us within seconds.
The girl who would help us win heated flip-cup championships, regardless of how shitfaced she may have been:
Muthafuckin' PRO!
Did I mention she liked molesting us?
Shamelessly showing me how she was gonna ride my sister that night! jk
And she'd make us the liveliest girls at the Summer Weddings:
She got me into throwing the peace sign.
She got us all the free Modelo, which I was a little embarrassed about.
still embarrassed...
Ah, fuck it! I learned to embrace/appreciate it. Fuck being known as the drunk table. That shit was F.U.N!

We called.

The voice of a young man answered.
Sister: Is... Alo there?
Guy: Yeah. Hold on.
Sister: (whispering to me) Fuck... I think her husband answered.
Alo: Hello?
Sister and me: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Alo: Awww, thanks girls!
Sister: Why did that dude answer your phone?
Alo: Oh... my brother? He answered... because... it's his now.
Sister: You have a new number and you didn't tell me?
Alo:.... no. I... well, you know... I'm... disconnecting myself from the world for now... you now. I... don't have a phone anymore.
Sister: Hmmm.
Alo: ... a lot of things changed after I got back.
Sister: I see...
Alo: Yeah... I mean... A LOT. A lot of... life-changing events... HUGE life changing events.
Sister: You fucking bitch... you better not be pregnant.
Alo: ... no... no, I'm not pregnant. But... I... got... I'm married.
No shit. 
Sister: Oh. When? Where? Why? Before you left?
Alo: Yeah. Because... well, we wanted to travel... and you can't travel when you're just boyfriend-girlfriend.
Me: SURE YOU CAN!
Alo: ... well... we got married.
Sister: So he went with you to Switzerland?
Alo:... yeah.

I left the room after that. My stomach could no longer take it.
It's weird, but I was getting sick just listening to it all.
How can you do that? How can you give up like that? WHO are you?

After I left, Sister kept talking to her, but was cut short.
Alo: I have A LOT to tell you... but... I have to do it when I'm alone... you know? I can't... really talk right now.
Sister: Your husband?
Alo: Yeah. But I'll call you back when I'm alone. Thanks for the call. Bye.

Her tone of voice... when I think of it... I feel... I want to cry. It's not the little girl I met back in '92. Not the same silly girl who'd always greet me with a "A la de rojo me la cojo!" whenever I'd wear red (a little perverted rhyme meaning "I'll fuck the one in red"). Not the girl from my memories.

I replay what was said, and I want to vomit.

Getting rid of her phone? Not being able to talk freely with her friends on her birthday? What the fuck is that about?
It's just... all wrong. All wrong.

I feel as if I attended the funeral of a good friend. An awesome friend... has disappeared. Not even a glimmer of that girl to be found today. Our Alamo Crew is officially dead.

My brother will never know of this. It will kill what ever is left of his heart.

No comments: